I was out with some awesome ladies the other night and they asked about my blog. I mentioned that is difficult sometimes to think of things to write about. One of them told me I should write about what to do if you have an accident. What a great idea, here we go…
Of course the first thing to do is to stay calm, people often forget this first step because their adrenalin is rushing. No one ever expects to get into an accident and I can’t ever remember anyone saying there is a good time for one. This is probably also not a good time to freak out and cause more problems for yourself, the other driver, or the emergency crew. It will all be okay, especially if you remember these 8 rules:
1. Stop immediately, but make sure you are not blocking traffic.
2. Assist anyone that is injured. You should also make sure you call 911 to help you, repeat this if they are not there in 5 minutes.
3. Get the names, phone numbers, and addresses of the other drivers, witnesses, and the injured. Especially if they are cute, lol. Sorry, hope that wasn’t inappropriate;)
4. Write down the make, model, and license numbers of all the cars involved.
5. Take photos, this is a very important step. You may also take a photo of the other drivers licenses to make sure you have the correct info.
6. Never accept claim settlement at the scene of the crime. It may not seem like a lot of damage but you may be surprised at some of the underlying damage and the price. If the person offers you a million dollars take it, you should always take a million dollars, lol.
7. Remain calm, courteous, and consistent in your version of the accident. It may differ from the other persons but telling the truth is much easier than trying to remember a lie.
8. Last but not least contact your insurance and a body shop (Kistler Ford has a fantastic one and you get to talk to Annie and Jerry, my favorites). They will help you with your claim.
I really hope you never have to take this advice but if you do Stay Calm. Happy Driving!!!
Your Favorite Day of the Week,